Monday, December 17, 2012

What is your religion?

I was born on 7th January 1987 into a loving Indian family and by default into a religion too. Pooja ceremony followed soon after and there were several more rituals henceforth. This was nothing out of the ordinary for, probably the entire world.

My childhood was nothing less than a childhood.

It had love. A caring dad who held my hand before I could fall. A benevolent mother who smiled even through the tough times. A mushy sister for whom I was a baby doll. A few dogs with their unconditional affection.

It had fun. Locking mom in the bathroom when only 3. Soaking clothes in water when mom had just finished drying them. Scarring dad and failing miserably each afternoon when he returned. Painting faces, soiling ourselves, breaking things and then hiding... And several friends to share those times with.

It had danger. Tumble down from the 1st story and rushing to the hospital when 4. Getting into an accident while crossing road and rushing to the hospital when 5. Shoving a crayon up my nostril and rushing to the hospital at 6. All of them, true stories.

It also had religion.

Do wrong and God will punish you. Be nice to all and He will reward you. He doesn't like kids who lie and adores those who are polite. Perseverance is paid for by Him for He doesn't help the lazy children. And most importantly He protects you from the ghosts, which are of course, everywhere!

In retrospect, it's a brilliant concept. A concept to teach children the basic values in life. Not only does it coerce them to follow the right path, but also makes a permanent mark in their minds. A permanent mark, of both - the right morals and God.

Without the fear of God, I might not respect my parents as much. Without the feeling of protection by God, I might still be scared of the dark. Without the punishing powers of the God, I might be a hypocrite. Without the love of God, I might be a bitter person. Without… the concept of God.

It's the year 2012 now, and I'm not a child anymore.

I no longer believe that going to temples will help me with my life crisis. I fail to understand why people donate money to idols. I refuse to acknowledge temples, churches, mosques that are built at every two steps. I take no pride in being part of a ritual that would only serves as an impediment. I am appalled by the billions being spent in the name of God. I can distinguish fact from fiction.

Say I'm wrong and God is not just a concept, would He mind if you don't fast on Mondays or if you don't pray to Him daily? I don't think He will.

That being said, I would like to establish - I am religious.

I educate poor children. I provide shelter to stray animals. I save dying birds. I help an old person cross the road. I give water to a thirsty person. I enjoy grandma's stories. I respect and treat everyone as equal. I smile when someone needs it. I hug with all honesty. I make time. I listen with my heart. I care with my soul. In return I get unconstrained and immeasurable love.

This very love gives me the fortitude to follow the right path.

This love is my strength. This love is my God. This, is my religion.

What's yours?

1 comment:

Deepali Jamwal said...

I was reading all your posts religiously and suddenly that one sentence made my eyes blurry and my nose started running "I was a baby doll to my sister"... :)
You are and will always be my baby doll. I don't love anyone more than you... and yes, your religion is the love that you share.
I learn so much from you everyday. It empowers me to do something good everyday. Love you! (and we shall never talk about this ;))